Lahmacun is very very popular in Turkey as a starter snack before the main meal. This popular Turkish style pizza comes from Gaziantep, Southeast of Turkey. It has very thin base and cooks in hot wooden oven in less then 3 minutes. Usually “Ayran” yogurt drink accompanies this delicious simple dish.
500 gr lean ground beef or lamb
2 medium onions
10 gr parsley
1 tbsp red pepper paste
2 large tomatoes, seeds discarded
1 tsp flaked peppers
1 garlic clove
1 tsp salt to taste
- For the dough
- 1 tsp dried yeast
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ cup lukewarm water
- 3 cups strong white flour
- For the dough – dilute sugar in water and sprinkle yeast on top, let stand for a few min till frothy.
- sift flour and salt into a bowl and make a well
- add yeast mix and tablespoon olive oil
- combine gradually till it creates a firm dough ( adding a little more warm water if necessary
- or flour if sticky )
- knead dough on a floured surface for 10 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic.
- smear a drop of olive oil around a bowl and roll the dough in it
- cover with damp cloth and let stand in a warm place for about an hour or till doubled in size.
- for the topping
- saute onions in the butter
- add chopped tomato and cook till dry
- add salt and sugar to taste and set aside to cool
- put the meat in a bowl
- add the tomato paste, paprika and lemon juice
- work mix into a paste with your hands
- punch back the risen dough, knead for 2-3 min
- cut into 6
- preheat oven to 230C/450F/gas mark 8
- roll each piece into a ball and roll out into a very thin round
- place on a well greased baking sheet
- spread a thin layer of the meat mix over each one
- leave to rest for 10 min.
- bake in oven for 10-15min until brown and crispy
- serve immediately with tomato, lettuce, onion and parsley salad, adding squeezed lemon juice.